Valentine’s Day is arguably the most romantic day of the year. Whether heading to Lincoln Road for a hot date, spending a cozy night in, or hitting South Beach with girlfriends, a light and loose romantic hairstyle fits the bill for any V-Day occasion. From free-falling locks to more structured styles, “I woke up like this” seems to be the overarching hair trend for 2016.
In the midst of Awards Season, there’s no better place to turn our heads for beauty inspiration than the red carpet. Here’s a few of our favorite celebrity styles to inspire your Valentine’s Day ‘do:
1. The Half-Up/Half-Down
Our Style Star: Amy Schumer, 2016 Golden Globe Awards
Give your man a front row view of those pretty peepers with a half up/half down ‘do a la Amy Schumer. The comedian scored big in the beauty department at the 2016 Golden Globe Awards with a perfectly-coiffed style, reading retro with a touch of modern texture.
- What to ask for: Replicate Amy’s lust-worthy look with piece barrel curls, gathered above the ears, and twisted and secured at the back of the crown. Volume and height on top add sophistication and glamour to an otherwise timeless style.
- Pair it with: With hair pulled away from the face, it’s the perfect time to put your eyes on display. Opt for an elegant cat eye accented by a shimmering silver pop of color on the inner corners to make eyes appear bigger and brighter.
2. Perfectly-Tousled Tresses
Our Style Star: Kiernan Shipka, 2016 SAG Awards
What man doesn’t love running his fingers through long, silky-smooth strands? Actress Kiernan Shipka slayed at the 2016 SAG Awards with tousled waves, which were equal parts beachy and bombshell.
- What to ask for: Take a page out of Kiernan’s book this Valentine’s Day and ask your stylist for loose, deconstructed waves using a large barrel curling iron. Leave the last two inches of hair uncurled for a look that reads less pinup, more beach babe.
- Pair it with: Nothing compliments this understated style like a bold brow. To achieve the look, use a brow comb to brush hair upward, following the direction of growth. Use short, quick strokes with a brow pencil to fill in sparse areas.
3. Old-Fashioned Chignon
Our Style Star: Eva Longoria, 2016 Golden Globe Awards
An elegant yet touchable updo is the epitome of a romantic Valentine’s Day ‘do. A go-to for the ever-fabulous Latina fashion icon, Eva Longoria sported a low-riding chignon for the 2016 Golden Globe Awards. The celeb’s center part and piecey bangs offered a modern interpretation of a more traditional style, perfect for either a wild night in South Beach or an intimate candlelight dinner.
- What to ask for: “Chignon” is essentially a fancy term for a bun. Ask for the style fastened loosely at the nape of the neck with plenty of twists and tendrils to up the romance factor.
- Pair it with: With hair secured behind the head, an updo offers the perfect opportunity to add a fun pop of color to the face with a punchy, vibrant lip. Candy apple red is the color of the season.